But I was at the commissary one day and I saw a tweet about Ree's (The Pioneer Woman's) pot roast. I had most of the ingredients on hand, so I picked up a chuck roast and came home and started cooking it instantly. It had to cook for three hours, and the house smelled amazing for the whole afternoon.
When it was finally done, I used my tongs to pull the meat out of my dutch oven and onto my serving platter and it completely fell apart. The carrots and onions had so much flavor and the juice was perfect spooned over a fluffy pile of mashed potatoes.
Forget all of the "best pot roast ever" recipes on Pinterest and make this one. It really is the best ever and I don't think I'll ever even look at another roast recipe for as long as I live.
|Pot roast, carrots & onions, and mashed potatoes|
The Pioneer Womans Pot Roast
(Original recipe found here.)
- 1 3 lb. Chuck Roast
- Olive Oil
- 2 Onions
- 8 Carrots
- McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 3 Cups Beef Stock
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
1) Choose a nicely marbled piece of meat. (My husband told me to get the one that was marbled throughout, instead of just big sections of fat.)
2) Heat a large dutch oven (or an oven safe pan with a tight fitting lid) over medium high heat with olive oil in the bottom of the pan.3) Cut onions in half and cut carrots at an angle. Brown onions on each side, and then remove from the pan onto a plate. Add the carrots to the pan, and let saute for about a minute.
4) Sprinkle seasoning over the meat and pat in. Flip it over and do the other side as well. Pour a little more oil in the bottom of the pan. Place the meat in the pan and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
5) With the burner still on high, use one cup of beef broth to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom with a whisk to get all of the dark bits up.
6) When the bottom of the pan is deglazed, place the roast back into the pan and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway (it took me two cups). Add the onion & carrots back in, as well as the fresh herbs.
7) Put the lid on, then roast in a 275F oven for 3 hours.